[Dixielandjazz] Introduction to Dixieland Music

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 7 16:41:38 PST 2003

>Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:40:41 -0800 (PST)
>From: David Marut <david_g_marut at yahoo.com>
>
>Hi - new member here.  What's a good CD intro to Dixieland music?  I was at a Cubs game last summer with my 9 month old, and she really enjoyed the Dixieland band that came by between innings.  I'm trying to introduce her to new types of music besides the rock/pop stuff Mommy and Daddy usually have on the cd player or radio.  She loves dancing and I just remember Dixieland as being fun music to move and listen to.  I'm anxious to get a good recording to listen to myself.
>
>David G. Marut
>cell: 773.793.6349
>email: david_g_marut at yahoo.com
**------------------------------------------------------------------**
David and DJML--
    Seems like a simple thing and a good thing to ask--what's a good recording to start with dixieland music--but it's kind of like asking, what's a good mystery novel?  The view of dixieland vouchsafed by the media is a fleeting glimpse at midnight in the ocean of the tip of an iceberg.
    However, just as a starting point, you could do worse than going to the website for the "All Music Guide" at http://www.allmusic.com/ and click on the 'jazz' button.  That takes you to the page where one of the choices is "New Orleans/Classic Jazz"; click that link.  That in turn takes you to the page that talks in general about a number of similar styles, which they give as these:

 	Boogie-Woogie	 	  Ragtime
 	Dixieland	 	  Stride
 	Classic Jazz	 	  New Orleans Jazz
 	Mainstream Jazz	 	  Trad Jazz
 	New Orleans Brass Bands	  Brass Band
 	Novelty Ragtime	 	  Dixieland Revival

each of which is a link to further explanations of that style.  Clicking then on 'dixieland' will take you to that page, where are listed a number of the most 'important' players, bands, and recordings.  Don't get overwhelmed by all the choices, just pick someone and see if you can find any recordings locally of them.  You can't go wrong with Louis Armstrong or Eddie Condon or Jack Teagarden or Turk Murphy or . . . (whoops, sorry!).  You might see if there's a used-CD store in your vicinity and buy a number of cheap recordings of these and other players, just to see what they're like.  Then, much later, you can explore all the abditories of minutiae we love to argue about on DJML.  Good hunting!

    Dan