[Dixielandjazz] Eric Hobsbawm

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Fri Feb 7 13:42:34 PST 2003

rakmccallum at hotmail.com writes:

> Hi Robert and everyone,
>
> Note: this response is NOT my personal opinion, only a quote from this
> month's Jazz Institute of Chicago's newsletter, and gives a polar opposite
> take in comparison with the very nice quote posted by Mr. Greenwood.
>
> Responding to an NEA finding that jazz musicians are underpaid and lacking
> benefits, bassist Joe Levinson responds:
>
> "The NEA's statement that 'respondents' considered talent the most
> important
> quality needed for pursuing a career in jazz is mind-boggling.  My God! The
> reason people go into jazz as a career is because they have no focus to
> their lives, have low self-esteem, are basically lazy, and have no
> marketable skills."
>
> Ouch!  Again, not my opinion (though I'll admit to being lazy and
> unfocussed!)  Direct any hate mail to Mr. Levinson :-)
>
> All the best,
> Rob McCallum

   Joe Levinson is a top Chicago jazz bassist.  Joe also possesses a very
keen  sense of humor.  Joe has poignant piece on the Jazz Institute of
Chicago website titled, " My Audition for Satchmo."  This is a true account
and beautifully written up.

   go to www.jazzinstituteofchicago.org     Scroll down to " My
Audition........

 I have some pieces on this website as well.

Jim Beebe