[Dixielandjazz] Young Audiences

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 16 15:46:52 PST 2003

Joe Hopkins (AZ Classic Jazz Society) wrote about the joys of Swing
Dancers at their OKOM festival. AMEN to that Joe. Barbone Street brought
"its" Swing Dancers to three Modern Jazz Festivals this year, and to
several other events. It was a paying gig proposition for them also,
even plus single rooms and meals at The Rehoboth Jazz Festival, a mere
80 miles from their homes. Money + A Vacation = The Good Life.

Not only did the "modern" young audience love the dancers (and Barbone
Street), but they spent $35 a head to see the hour and a half show.
Admittedly the $35 also got them food from local restaurant booths
inside the hall, however the bar was CASH. This audience, 500 strong,
spent a pile of money on booze.

And the festival folks are no dopes, they charged the restaurants for
booth space and the restaurants gave away the food as supporters of the
festival and their increased business during the remaining 3 days.

Yes, the 21 to 50 year old crowd is the one with the money, that stays
up late and spends it.

The OKOM Blue Hairs will spend $1000 on travel and hotel, and then bitch
about the high cost of a $75 all events price that enables them to see 3
days worth of music. (Mostly mediocre in between one or two good bands
but for the most part, they do no know the difference)

Success Mantra? PLAY WHERE THE YOUNG SPENDERS ARE.
Future Success Mantra? BRING THE MUSIC TO THE REAL KIDS, 6 to 21.

How? Send me $1000 and I'll tell you. Wiggins and I have been giving it
away for two years and nobody takes us up on it. OK, now it costs. (See
that Bill and Rae Ann?  One can make a fortune without those African
money launderers. ;-)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone