[Dixielandjazz] Pitch perception

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 16 17:02:18 PST 2003

Hi all,

Mike Durham writ:

>Bill: as you know, Baby Dodds used to tune his drums. Maybe you COULD tune
>your washboard - got a hammer? (unless it's one of those glass ones......)

Yes . . . but not just any old hammer -- you need a ball peen.

Regarding glass. Forget it. Glass does NOT make the lovely, supportive and
driving sound one derives from corrugated metal. Glass is non yielding and
emits only and ugly clatter that drives the other musicians crazy!

If you don't believe me, ask some of the old time members of the South
Frisco Jazz Band to tell you what happened when Bob Raggio switched to a
glass washboard for a short period of time.

Cheers,

Bill