[Dixielandjazz] cleaning methods and jazz

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 16 17:12:19 PST 2003

Hi Listmates,

Mike Durham wrote:

>On a more serious note, washboardists might be interested to know that in
>sunny southern Portugal houses are still being built with integral
>washboards - yes, really -  affixed to the outside of the house, next to a
>water tap. A lot cheaper than a washing machine, and very
>environmentally-friendly! As they are made of concrete, . .

This is a throwback to an earlier era when humanity lived in small tribal
enclaves. Clothing would be taken down to the local creek (a convenient
source of water) and beat on a rock (which is quite similar to concrete). It
was effective for a milennium or so. Then, in rapid succession came 1. the
washboard, 2. the maytag, 3. your local dry cleaner and laundry shoppe and,
4. disposable underwear.

The washboard era simply happened to coincide with the rise of blues and
jazz in New Orleans and so became a legitimate part of the jazz band
percussion section.

Can you imagine what would happen to jazz if it were invented today? . . . I
can't.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "wears relatively clean shorts" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com