[Dixielandjazz] NY's celebrations

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 16 17:22:16 PST 2003

Listmates,

Don Ingle says:

>Aye, and a guid Hogmany tae y'sel.
>Some of my fellow Yanks not blessed with Scots blood may wonder what
>"Hogmany" is. I explain it as "Trick or Treat" for grown ups...instead of
>going door to door to beg for candy, the canny Scots go about begging for a
>drink to celebrate the New Years with. My paternal line has doing this for
>years -- though some of us have extended it way past the Jan. 1 calendar
>mark. A wee dram o' the usquebaugh is a grand way to start the New Year off
>for a' o' that.
>So, to Norrie and all, a Happy Hogmany, and
>Slainte!

Thank you, Don, and I'm pleased to report that I will personally be
celebrating a wonderful and joyous new year because of an e-mail I just
received:

-----> clip of e-mail

MR. SHOLA ABIODUN
ACCOUNTS DEPARTMENT (N.N.P.C )
LAGOS-NIGERIA
E-MAIL: shabiodun at katamail.com

URGENT BUSINESS PROPOSAL

IT IS WITH TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THAT I MAKE THIS
URGENT AND IMPORTANT BUSINESS PROPOSAL TO YOU. I AM A
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT WITH THE NIGERIAN NATIONAL PETROLEUM
CORPORATION (NNPC) HERE IN LAGOS. I HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED
BY MY COLLEAGUES TO SEEK FOR A FOREIGN PARTNER IN THE
TRANSFER OF THE SUM OF US$30,000,000.00 (THIRTY
MILLION U.S. DOLLARS ONLY). THIS MONEY AROSE FROM A
DELIBERATE OVER INVOICING OF A PARTICULAR CONTRACT
AWARDED BY MY CORPORATION IN 2000

-----> end of e-mail

So I will shortly be millions of dollars richer than most of you poor slobs
trying to figure out how to get extra gig pay on holidays.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "How in hell did MR. SHOLA ABIODUN get my e-mail address?" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com