[Dixielandjazz] New blood for OKOM

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Dec 15 17:33:57 PST 2003

There is a big thing that OKOM festival organizers can do to promote
the events to a younger audience that I rarely ever see: Advertise or
get listings in the "Free Alternative" newspapers! What used to be in
the 1960s  aimed at politico/hippies and only handed out for free at
"head shops" are now including major entertainment listings for all
sorts of events targeted at the 18-45 (roughly) audience and available
at all sorts of places. Many "mainstream" newspapers have weekly
entertainment sections that have sprung up to compete with the
alternative press.

I know a few people that freelance for several Bay Area papers - The SF
Weekly and San Jose/Santa Clara County Metro and I asked them what it
takes to get a listing in their events pages. They said the main thing
is a timely, well written press release along with a follow-up call or
e-mail, or having someone knowledgeable on your end being available for
providing more information if they need it. The They do get tons of
input so sometimes it takes a bit of skill to get through to print.
Buying an advertisement in the paper is also a good thing (but not
ALWAYS necessary...)

You can't expect people to come to your show if they never knew it was
there!

Dave Richoux

BTW, I also get press releases sent to my radio show - you would be
amazed at the lack of basic information in many of them: WHO, WHAT,
WHEN, WHERE [exactly, not just the name of a hall,] HOW MUCH$, HOW TO
GET TICKETS and  Who should I contact for more information!  web site
and e-mail, phone numbers, addresses... I don't need worded scripts,
just the facts ;-)