[Dixielandjazz] methods of attracting young people / was Air Travel

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Dec 15 15:19:05 PST 2003

Thanks for the kind words, Tom. maybe somebody on the Sac Jubilee board
is on this list...

Consider the fact that we just got back from a tour of Brazil, playing
for an age-mixed audience of well over 25,000 very enthusiastic folks
at one venue (and many other well attended shows with little advance
publicity.)  I think groups like the California Repercussions can draw
in those Gen X, Y and Z people to  Sacramento, let them hear not only
us but all the other kinds of bands that are there.

As a DJ at a station that tries to present interesting music to all
sorts of specialized audiences, I am not too surprised to find some
audience members that like "Old School" jazz along with the very modern
styles, Bluegrass and Surf intertwined with Punk Rock, Soundtracks and
Industrial Disco - they can be very open to a lot of things if
presented well...

Dave Richoux