[Dixielandjazz] Air Travel

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 15 17:24:34 PST 2003

Hi Kaye,

You wrote:

>I've traveled extensively since 9-11 even 7 days after it.... Every
>plane has been sold out. I don't buy that excuse for canceling Victoria
>either.

For those who came in late, here is what was said in the announcement by the
Terrif-Vic Jazz Party directors:

-----> Start clip

"The revenue shortfall from the 2003 Jazz Party was caused largely by an
unexpected decrease in attendance from the United States due to a general
downturn in American travel after the outbreak of the U.S. war with Iraq.
The Society’s Board of Directors also expressed concern over the lack of
major sponsors to support the staging of the 2004 Jazz Party festival."

----> End clip

I wouldn't be too quick to discount this assessment. It may be there is some
connection to 9-11.  However, I believe there is more to be said about the
difficulties faced by jazz festivals today.  I noted this a few days back
when I posted the following on the DJML:

-----> Start clip

"As concerned musicians and fans we are going to have to come up with new
and innovative ways of keeping our music alive! I'm sure the events of 9-11
had an effect on travel to British Columbia last April but that is only a
small part of the problem. The main problem is that our audiences are
growing old and dying."

-----> End clip

Conclusion:

If we don't come up with more successful methods of attracting young people
to our events we are looking at the end of trad jazz festivals.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com