[Dixielandjazz] methods of attracting young people / was Air Travel

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 17:13:52 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/15/03 12:00:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tubaman at batnet.com writes:

> It is true that we are not quite what most on this list would call an
> OKOM band - we play a lot more Rock  than Jazz, but if they are really
> wanting to bring in "new blood" to the festival they will have to keep
> on bringing in more variety, not less!
>
> Dave Richoux

You are absolutely correct Dave, and I saw you guys at least two times and I
enjoyed your performances and material as did  the hundreds of folks standing
around listening.

I am sure that with the size of the group  that "The Organizers" certainly
did not pay you sufficiently either, so any act that good and unique who can
entertain and certainly draw some new younger folks to the festival should be on
the  program.

The repercussions were a damned site better and more entertaining than many
lame Dixieland bands I saw and heard, many of whom I just walked away from or
sometimes just walked on by.

Any kind of music needs change to be vital and  remain a viable means of
attracting ticket buyers on any kind of consistent basis, people get BORED very
easily and quickly, therefore too much of the same old chunk a chunk sound will
drive them away or prevent them from coming at all.

I do realize that some folks do indeed eat oatmeal and metamucil for
breakfast everyday, but most of the world is into change and variety especially when
it comes to music.

There are still only two kinds,  GOOD MUSIC AND BAD MUSIC.

The Repercussions Play the Good Kind but for some folks it is NTKOM, but that
is OK too, because TKOM is not always OKOM either.   I believe that is why we
call it OUR KIND OF MUSIC  rather than just Dixieland.

Cheers,

I hope to see The Repercussions back because they also are probably
economically the best buy on the program and are more than likely highly underpaid.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band