[Dixielandjazz] Air Travel

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Dec 15 13:01:16 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/15/03 9:25:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jazzboard at hotmail.com writes:

> Conclusion:
>
> If we don't come up with more successful methods of attracting young people
> to our events we are looking at the end of trad jazz festivals.
>
> Respectfully submitted,
>
> Bill Gunter
> jazzboard at hotmail.com
>
> Hi Bill:

This is no doubt the biggest obstacle for all Jazz Festivals to tackle, I
went ot a Holiday party a few nights ago and was discussing music with some
friends in the fifty something set, I brought up The Sacramento Jubilee, and one of
them turned and said oh yeah is that still going on, I went there once a few
years ago but it was just all old Dixieland music and really boring,  this
statement in front of a groupo of at least ten people with in ear shot of it.

I quickly pointed out to him that I went last year and found Blues, Cajun,
Zydeco, Swing, Big Band, Dixieland , Ragtime,  Gospel and even Countrty Swing
and other forms of Traditional Jazz.  Something for almost any taste in music.

He said great maybe we will go back up to Sacramento this year and check it
out again.

We have said it before many times and ways on this list, that we have to go
get the music back into the public mainstream if we are going to continue it as
a means of employment and or to create a future workingplace for younger
youth bands and musicians coming behind us.

Like several other things in the past few Decades in Amnerica in particular,
we have lost about three generations that should have been indoctrinated and
exposed to this music  at an early age other than the cartoon shows.   Which
was a good start, since most kids spend a lot of time in front of the tube
watching them, however it must be taken out to them and at every possible
opportunity.

If not with in twenty more years they will have to do ancient history
research to find any, we can't wait for the  major Record labels or Radio programmers
to give it to them, they will only give them what they think they can SELL,
and since there does not seem to be a big enough audience for OKOM, they are
not trying to sell it at all.  Pity indeed.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins