[Dixielandjazz] methods of attracting young people / was Air Travel

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Dec 15 11:59:43 PST 2003

For the last few years (maybe 4 now?) I have been playing at the
Sacramento Jubilee with the California Repercussions, two long sets on
Saturday afternoons  in the streets of Old Sac. The audience has
generally been huge with both badge wearers and "freeloaders" of all
ages listening (and apparently liking) what we were playing.

This year we won't be there - the organizers told us they were having
problems with "crowd control" - we were too popular! They didn't offer
us a chance to play on a stage set as an alternative (we would do well
at the Freeway Garden stage or other large venues) but they did say
they will try to fit us in somewhere by 2005.

It is true that we are not quite what most on this list would call an
OKOM band - we play a lot more Rock  than Jazz, but if they are really
wanting to bring in "new blood" to the festival they will have to keep
on bringing in more variety, not less!

Dave Richoux