[Dixielandjazz] NY's celebrations

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Mon Dec 15 17:14:39 PST 2003

Steve wrote:
>Of course new Year's day starts at Midnight, no?

Yes, but if we're talking about New Year's Eve Celebrations, than you
can't just accept that the U.S. way of celebrating is the only way to
go......as stated in my post earlier on this subject.

In Spain, the Eve's celebrations are begun with dinner at home with the
family from 10pm to midnite, when the whole family will eat the "lucky
grapes".....12, one with each toll of the midnite bell, followed by cava
(Spanish Champagne).  Then, and only then, will the streets begin to
fill up with people on their way to night clubs, etc.  A band's New
Year's Eve gig begins at around 1:30am.....the morning of New Year's
Day!  Celebrations go on until 6 or 7 in the morning, when a traditional
hot chocolate is used to dip a deep fat fried "churro" into.  This stuff
is like pudding, and can't really be drunk, except by foreigners who
don't know any better!   :>

Jim