[Dixielandjazz] Thread: What about Sir George (Shearing) or Dame Marian (McPartland)?

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Mon Dec 15 07:26:17 PST 2003

Listmates:-- not strictly OKOM but good music, just the same.(Not Jagger but
Shearing and McPartland)  George Shearing's performances have already been
discussed (pro and con)in the august pages. See the item about Mick Jagger's
recent knighthood.

See quote from another list suggesting possibility of knighthood, or in
Marian's case, damehood ( is that a word?)for Shearing and McPartland.

I'd be especially interested in the thoughts  of our British colleagues on
this subject.

Thanks.

Norman Vickers
Pensacola
____________________

Subject: [JPL] How about Sir George (Shearing) or Dame Marian (McPartland)?

>Now You Can Call Him Sir Mick Jagger

LONDON (AP) - Mick Jagger sealed his place among Britain's establishment
Friday, accepting a knighthood from Prince Charles at Buckingham Palace.

"It's very nice to have honors given to you as long as you don't take it all
too seriously," said Jagger, the 60-year-old prancing frontman for the
Rolling Stones.  He sported black suede and leather sneakers for the
occasion.

He laughed off the abuse he has taken from fellow Stone Keith Richards, who
has called the knighthood an "(expletive) disgrace."

"I think he would probably like to get the same honor himself," Jagger told
reporters outside the palace.

"It's like being given an ice cream - one gets one ant they all want one.
It's nothing new.  Keith likes to make a fuss."

Jagger was accompanied at the ceremony by his 92-year-old father Joe and
daughters Karis, 32, and Elizabeth, 19.