[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 12, Issue 26

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Dec 13 02:20:50 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/12/03 9:50:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Hi Tom &List mates:
>
> Wholeheartedly agree with just about everything you say except the 0 points
> for "A"
> answer to question 1. Why penalize a band that does not have to play free
> venues? In
> our case, maybe not the rest of the OKOM band world, we attract a varied
> audience from
> 8 to 80. Yet we play about 160 gigs paying a year, to the "B" answer groups.
>
> Therefore we believe that we should get MAX points for what we do, even
> though we
> don't do it free except on rare charity occasions where I personally pay the
> sideman
> and donate the band.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

Understood, and I do much of the same kind of thing, as I am sure Tom Woods
and Richard with Jazz Factory do as well.

There is a bit of room for some flexibility in the applications and
interpretations of the quiz, hence my comment on agreeing 99%, I simply did so without
going into any specific little variance that I as well as any professional
band leader might find applicable to any given situation.

All in all I think it was a great post and appreciate Tom Woods contribution,
now more of you guys out there need to get involved and speak your mind about
such things that just might help others move on up the ladder in this
endeavor to once again expand this great music and art form in any way that you can.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays again to all.

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

Thought I was finished for the year but just got a call to do a Funeral next
Thursday for a friend, we shall indeed go send his mother on her home going
respectably in the Nawlin's fashion befitting such a nice lady from the Crescent
City.