[Dixielandjazz] New Year's Eve

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 13 01:46:27 PST 2003

New Year's Eve costs more because of Supply & Demand. It is unfettered
capitalism at work. More places use music that night and so the price
goes up. Like weddings, corporate parties and Jazz Festivals that hire
the big boys.

I do, however, agree with Tom Wiggans that a client, or club that books
us on a regular or even frequent basis, gets first priority. By the same
token, they know the price goes up on that night and so they are usually
close to top prices offered elsewhere. And face it, in our situation we
get multiple offers from "frequent user" clients.

In fact, the gig Barbone Street is doing New Years Eve is for a
"frequent user" client. Not the top dollar we were offered, but close.
That's why we are there. Good client, good payer (in advance).

No matter who we book on that date, we are going to disappoint some
clients.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone