[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 12, Issue 23

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 11 18:50:25 PST 2003

> s3856lpa at webtv.net (Harold Smith) wrote (polite snip)
>
> If you listmates think that the "Music for the Gary Trade" was in bad
> taste, offensive, and downright insensitive, wait until I start a thread
> on the new Medicare/Prescription Drug Bill, passed by our glorious
> Congress.

That would be "Music for the GRAY Trade". Describes the current USA OKOM audience
perfectly. I'll start with the first song for "Gray Trade". (Songs must satisfy
both the "Gray" areas of both musical and medicare objectives)

1) "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead You Rascal You."

The above song also satisfies the wishes of the younger generations. They are
decreasing as a percentage of the total population here and they will not be able
to fund the medical needs of all of us old folks. And they would much rather spend
that money in a more relevant area. And they could care less about OKOM as played
by most bands today.

Note well that out of 105 musical categories for the GRAMMY'S, with 4 or 5 nominees
per category, there is NO OKOM. Unless you consider Brian Setzer's "Nutcracker
Suite" OKOM. ;-) (it's in a Pop category)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone