[Dixielandjazz] George Shearing

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Tue Dec 9 18:13:46 PST 2003

I might have posted this before but it bears repeating. I knew Eddie
Thompson (now sadly departed) quite well, a pianist of some renown here in
the UK who also happened to be blind. He once told me that he did a gig in
NY at one end of Broadway while George Shearing was appearing at the other,
both were billed as "Britain's Best Blind Pianist".

Eddie was quite something, he could do absolutely unbelievable impressions
of Tatum and his blues playing would tear out your heart.

John Farrell