[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 12, Issue 15

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 17:06:24 PST 2003

> "PJ Ladd" <pj.ladd at btopenworld.com> wrote (polite snip)
>
> a fiddle player with whom I used to work used to employ George for his band
> in London when ,as he puts it, `I couldn`t get my regular pianist.` George
> could never play real music, only a lot of chocolate box stuff.`

To which several listmates replied stating that George Shearing could too play good
music and does, including Dixieland with Davern, Peplowski et al in 1989, etc.

Hey Pat, aren't you simply relaying a story about YOUNG George Shearing before he
became famous. Not whether Shearing is now a good, great, or not so great. Or am I
missing something?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone