[Dixielandjazz] stackolee/stagger lee

Adaywayne at aol.com Adaywayne at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 16:06:23 PST 2003

Of course, Dan, it does help if you know how to spell the name of the
tune....."Stack O' Lee Blues".....what else?

So a quick Google search for "stack o' lee" blues +composer gives all kinds
of information that I haven't had time to read yet. I do know that Ellington
recorded it in 1927 and that (Ray) Lopez and (?) Dotwell are credited as
composer and lyricist, respectively. A further search listed Papa Harvey Hull and
Long Cleeve Reed as composer and lyricist. I kinda like the sound of the latter
two guys better! No dates of composition yet.
Arnie

I usually enclose a name or phrase in double quotes and get Google to