[Dixielandjazz] Re: Art

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 09:10:30 PST 2003

Bill, everybody: There was a good parallel in the world of visual art last
year, when the City of Birmingham (the English one) sponsored an exhibition
consisting of empty frames. There was a title card beneath each one ("Summer
Idyll", "Storm Over The Hills", that sort of thing) and the viewer was
invited to visualise his or her own painting on this theme. We are thinking
of doing the same thing: we turn up at a concert, issue the audience with
our playlist, invite them to imagine how it would sound, then we go home
(after making sure we have our fat fee, of course). Though to be really
purist, I guess we should dispense with the playlist....... come to think of
it, this sounds like a good way to get a large Arts Council grant. Recently
they gave an "artist" money to paint words on a flock of sheep: the idea was
to let the sheep run loose and see if their random movement generated
a meaningful statement. In a just world, they would have spelled out
"there's one born every minute".......

Hey ho,

Mike D.