[Dixielandjazz] Celebrity Thread

Ken Barnes leveller at cox-internet.com
Wed Dec 3 01:57:20 PST 2003

For what it's worth:

I don't know if he's been mentioned or not, but, in the late forties, Andy
Griffith graduated from the University of North Carolina with a Bachelor of
Music degree and taught high school choral music for a year or two before
doing that "whut it wuz, wuz football" routine that launched his career in
comedy. (Anyone here remember *that*?)  Now, I dunno -- maybe a choral
degree doesn't qualify him for this thread or from an OKOM standpoint, but I
clearly remember his stating in an interview a year or two ago that he
entered college as a *trombone* major, inspired to the sliphorn in his early
teens by admiration for Jack Teagarden.

Also, in re Greenspan and Garment, I fairly well recall Len Garment saying
(while making the rounds on his book tour several years ago) that the two of
them had done some pick-up work with Woody Herman, as well as playing with
the Jerome band. Not that they served long or with any great distinction,
mind you, but, if true,  they might at least include Woody in one of those
name-dropping resume's we've all seen (or done (8^>)...

Anyhow, this has been an interesting thread. Thanks...