[Dixielandjazz] Jazz art

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Mon Dec 1 23:36:36 PST 2003

Art seems to be in the DJML air at the moment so anyone in Washington, DC might wish to view the exhibit, at the National Gallery of Art, of Romare Bearden, an artist of the Harlem Renaissance, one section of which contains his jazz pictures.
I seem to remember that Pee Wee Russell, George Wettling, Mel Powell, and Frankie Newton did some painting. Probably others too. None of them is shown in the Smithsonian publication, "Seeing Jazz", and I don't recall any in "Jazz Modernism". Wettling has a painting in "Esquire's World of Jazz", and Powell on the cover of the liner notes to his CD, "the return of Mel Powell".  Does anyone know of a publication featuring jazz musician/artists' paintings?
Fred