[Dixielandjazz] RE: 2 beat, 4 beat

tito martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Thu Aug 28 02:41:17 PDT 2003

Thanks, Larry,

for you comment and especially for the link to Gottschalk, the great and
original and forgotten American composer.

He is particularly respected and appreciated here in Brazil because he
composed a Fantasy over the Brazilian National Anthem.

About "Spanish tinge" actually it's all about a very specific bass
figure, explained very well by Jelly Roll Morton in his Bibl. Of
Congress recording. Its more evident manifestation is the Habanera which
normally is played by Americans like a conga or a rumba...   but has
nothing to do with this! I suggested it to Butch commenting his post
because as a great pianist he is, he knows perfectly the connection and
how to play it correctly.

Anyway Gottschalk was a pioneer in these researches.
I sent this answer also to the List because I believe many Music Lover
will be glad to follow the Gottschalk links and listen to pieces like
"Banjo", "Bamboula", "Souvenirs D'Andalousie" and other complete MP3
files.

Cheers,

Tito

> Hi Tito
> The "spanish tinge" suggestion from Butch Thompson is
> especially
> intriguing when one considers the influence of Louis Moreau
> Gottschalk on the origins of ragtime.  Gottschalk made his
> relatively
> short-lived reputation (he died at the age of 40) on his
> compositions
> that were stongly influenced by his experiences in South
> America.
>
> I'm not a Gottschalk scholar; just an ardent fan of his music.
> More
> about this composer's life and works can be found at
>
> http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/gottschalk.html

> and
>
> http://cpa.feynsinn.de/eng/gottschalk/Gottschalk.htm

> There's lots more out there about this remarkable composer.
> If you
> listen to any of his stuff, remember when you here one that
> smacks of
> ragtime that he died in 1869.
>
> Larry Swain
>

> L. R. Swain
>
> Penrose, Inc.
> Professional Real Estate and other Web presence creation
> http://www.Penrose.com
> 617 571 7885

---