[Dixielandjazz] RE:2 beat, 4 beat

tito martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Wed Aug 27 14:45:25 PDT 2003

<<<<To complicate things even further, I believe New Orleans drummers
would accent one of the bass drum beats sometimes so, for instance you
would get a slightly accented third beat through a tune.  It is very
subtle rhythmic improvisation.

Ron L >>>>

YES, Ron! I would say, it's a kind of "walking" accentuation, because
it's not always on the third beat!
It's more like "talking drums", refer to Baby Dodds, John Petters should
know better of this.
These subtle details (plus those Butch remarked) make the difference to
an outstanding New Orleans Jazz Band as distinct from an amateur "good
time" Dixieland band.

Tito Martino

---