[Dixielandjazz] RE: 2 beat, 4 beat

lswain at penrose.com lswain at penrose.com
Wed Aug 27 20:11:30 PDT 2003

> Hi, Butch,
>
> Great contribution, IMHO it's exactly that. And that's is one of the
> great "secrets" of making a band swing like hell, with a combination
> of very carefully sparsely applied "spanish tinge" on the piano left
> hand and/or on the bass beat.
>
> Please don't be quiet!  ;-)
> Cheers,
>
> Tito Martino

	The "spanish tinge" suggestion from Butch Thompson is especially
intriguing when one considers the influence of Louis Moreau
Gottschalk on the origins of ragtime.  Gottschalk made his relatively
short-lived reputation (he died at the age of 40) on his compositions
that were stongly influenced by his experiences in South America.

I'm not a Gottschalk scholar; just an ardent fan of his music. More
about this composer's life and works can be found at

	http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/gottschalk.html

and

	http://cpa.feynsinn.de/eng/gottschalk/Gottschalk.htm

There's lots more out there about this remarkable composer.  If you
listen to any of his stuff, remember when you here one that smacks of
ragtime that he died in 1869.

Larry Swain

L. R. Swain

Penrose, Inc.
Professional Real Estate and other Web presence creation
http://www.Penrose.com
617 571 7885