[Dixielandjazz] Ciro's Club Orch - 1st Jazz recording?

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Wed Aug 20 19:11:07 PDT 2003

In a message dated 20/8/03 7:16:28, rakmccallum at hotmail.com writes:

<< Why does

everyone consider the ODJB recordings released on 2/26/1917 the first jazz

recording when Ciro's Club Coon Orchestra (an African American band

performing in London) recorded jazz in 1916? >>

I tend to agree that their recording sound very much like jazz. The entire
recorded output of this group which was a quartet are available on two Document
CDs. The recordings were made in London for 'The Gramophone Company' which did
not seem to operate the same colour bar as was the practice of the American
companies. The leader of the band - I cannot remember his name - lead a rather
colourful life (No pun intended please!) in London but became a drug addict
and ended up murdering his wife who was the landlady of the local pub after he
caught her dallying (Now there is an old fasshioned word for 'it') with another
man. I understand he then topped himself.

Real comment on ther 'jazz' aspects of the band's performances can really
only be judged after listening to a number of the recordings although being 1916
there is plenty of bacon frying in the background!

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.