[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ciro's Club Orch - 1st Jazz recording?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 20 18:54:44 PDT 2003

Dear Rob,
An interesting question, and one that has been debated before.
However, the ODJB claim is not that they were the first to PLAY jazz. Just the
first band to RECORD it.
The first ODJB records were made for Victor on 26 Feb 1917 [shut up Barbone.
8>)  ] and released on 7 March 1917.
The Ciro's Club "St Louis Blues" you refer to was recorded (not issued) in Sept
1917. NOT 1916 as you quote.
Which, unfortunately, shoots down your aural argument.
The 6 tunes recorded by the Ciro's band in August 1916 do not include 'known'
jazz titles. But I have not heard any of them, so who knows whether they were
'jazzed up'?
However, the Ciro's group recorded "They Called It Dixieland" (which I have
never heard) for English Columbia in Oct 1916.
At the same session they put down "Never Let Your Right Hand Know What Your Left
Hand's Going To Do" (which I have and it is not jazz).
The Ciro's Club band was a banjo/banjo mandolin ragtime group.
Kind regards,
Bill.