[Dixielandjazz] Ciro's Club Orch - 1st Jazz recording?

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Wed Aug 20 17:35:44 PDT 2003

Rob McCallum asked

>Why does everyone consider the ODJB recordings released on 2/26/1917 the
first jazz
> recording when Ciro's Club Coon Orchestra (an African American band
> performing in London) recorded jazz in 1916?

I think it is because it is the first "Jass" band to record.
Brian Rust's discographys are called "Jazz Records 1897-1942". The Sousa
Band is one of the bands mentioned in Rust. It could not be called a jazz
band but they did play jazz numbers. Rust does mention other bands during
the 1897-1942 period that only recorded two or three "jazz" titles and these
are the only songs by that band that are mentioned.
Maybe the ODJB had good publicity in 1917 and people have been too lazy to
do their own research since then!

But I agree with you Rob, IMHO the ODJB were not the first band to record
jazz but they may have been the first jazz band to record.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia