[Dixielandjazz] Ciro's Club Orch - 1st Jazz recording?

glen page gpage at direct.ca
Wed Aug 20 01:02:46 PDT 2003

I have often wondered about the same topic as there are many vocal sides before Mamie Smith and the ODJB that have "jazz band" accompaniments.

Cheers, GLEN.
  Rob McCallum asks

  I've been spending some time on the Red Hot Jazz Archive site this evening
  and would like to pose a question to the historians of the list.  Why does
  everyone consider the ODJB recordings released on 2/26/1917 the first jazz
  recording when Ciro's Club Coon Orchestra (an African American band
  performing in London) recorded jazz in 1916?