[Dixielandjazz] cd cataloging database

David Palmquist davidpalmquist at dccnet.com
Sun Aug 17 17:02:15 PDT 2003

I'm not sure I'd use a CD player, no matter what its capacity, as a
database.  At best it will give title, album name, and principal
performer.  If the CD was coded correctly by the manufacturer.  I find that
isn't always the case - an Armstrong CD may generate something completely
different in the CDDB database, maybe Miller or Goodman.

I've found it very convenient to burn my CD's to my hard drive as MP3
files.  That allows me to listen to them quickly when somebody refers to a
particular recordings.  It takes maybe 10 minutes to rip each one, but I'm
usually multitasking anyway, so it's not a problem.  I have them stored in
a few folders, by category, and each CD track is in a folder named for that
CD.

There's a freeware utility called filegrabber, which allows me to copy all
the folders or files listed in a Windows Explorer window into the
filegrabber interface, then copy it as text from there into any other
application - I paste it into Excel, and presto, I have the beginning of my
database.  I use separate worksheets for each of my major groupings -
i.e.,- all my Ellingtons are on one page.

This gives me a list of the songs on my CD's by album name.  What I haven't
yet done is create the discographical information, I used to have that
before my system crashed a couple of years ago.   My old Excel sheet had
song, album, principal musician or group, date recorded, location, and
personnel (including instrument).  The sort feature allowed me to pull up a
list of all my Goodman CD's, for instance, or to search for anything with
Vito Musso playing.  That's gone now (how does one spell "backup?" - grin)

Printing is a problem - I have thousands of tracks listed, 1,600 for Duke
alone.  Discographical info must be entered manually, unfortunately, but
you can cheat a bit by copying the personnel from the page for the
particular CD from Towerrecords.com or Amazon.ca, where they include the
info on their webpages.

David in Delta