[Dixielandjazz] cd cataloging database

David Livingston snargi01 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 19:36:03 PDT 2003

David & list mates,

If you prefer to "RIP" your CDs. (Make mp3s) and have
a PC, I suggest getting MusicMatch Jukebox.
(http://www.musicmatch.com/) I use this software to
keep track of all the MP3s on my system including the
songs I use on my radio station, Dixieland Gumbo.
(http://www.dixielandgumbo.com/)

MusicMatch Jukebox is a Audio Player, CD Burner, MP3
Database program all in one. It allows you to search
your music collection many different ways. It also
allows you to make playlists of your music. You can
then burn these playlists to a CD. There is much more
this program can do. Go to the web site to see all the
details.

Dave Livingston
Dixieland Gumbo -- Internet Radio
Today's hot bands playing OKOM!
http://www.dixielandgumbo.com/

If you are interested in getting airplay for your
traditional Jazz recordings, contact me at
davel at dixielandgumbo.com

--- David Palmquist <davidpalmquist at dccnet.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I'd use a CD player, no matter what its
capacity, as a database.  At best it will give title,
album name, and principal performer.  If the CD was
coded correctly by the manufacturer.  I find that
isn't always the case - an Armstrong CD may generate
something completely different in the CDDB database,
maybe Miller or Goodman.

> I've found it very convenient to burn my CD's to my
hard drive as MP3 files.  That allows me to listen to
them quickly when somebody refers to a particular
recordings.  It takes maybe 10 minutes to rip each
one, but I'm usually multitasking anyway, so it's not
a problem.
> I have them stored in a few folders, by category,
and each CD track is in a folder named for that CD.

> There's a freeware utility called filegrabber, which
allows me to copy all the folders or files listed in a
Windows Explorer window into the filegrabber
interface, then copy it as text from there into any
other  application - I paste it into Excel, and
presto, I have the beginning of my database.  I use
separate worksheets for each of my major groupings -
i.e.,- all my Ellingtons are on one page.
~snip~