[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 8, Issue 8

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Tue Aug 5 09:05:13 PDT 2003

In a message dated 8/5/2003 7:30:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] NY Times Jazz Review
> What you said about Dick Hyman's style put it all into place for me. Thanks
for the great insight. I had bought his books about the "right chords" and
found them half truths. Then I heard his rendition of early 20's novelty piano and
found it awful. Why, I wondered. He is a master talent beyond compare. The
answer is, he adds all the "right" (big, modern) chords to everything he does
and it destroys a lot of the feeling of early rag and novelty piano songs for
me. I worked at Young & Rubicam, an ad agency in New York where Dick was brought
in to do some piano work. He blew everybody away with his ability to play
anything in any key. (Can you play anything in the key of B natural?). But I
don't like all those big, modern chords in every piano piece. It sounds like a
formula to me.

Thanks to Dick Broadie for the great insight,

Dan (piano fingers) Spink