[Dixielandjazz] Tune requests - Stardust

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 13:27:25 PDT 2003

Funny, in the 50s, we looked down on playing "Stardust". Now, a half
century later, we often use Stardust as a feature for the trombonist
when we are in "old folks" venues.

He does it beautifully with that fat tone, including the verse, in the
original Db, and those old folks who can, get up and dance to it saying:
"We haven't danced to this in 50 years." Those who just listen get
dreamy eyed and their attention is riveted on the TB. That audience
reaction is priceless.

The entire band gets a kick out it these days, as we back the TB with
long smooth, soft, chords.

No, it isn't Dixieland, but it is OKOM and it makes for a nice break in
the program.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone