[Fwd: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Hentoff piece]

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Mon Aug 4 14:47:49 PDT 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Hentoff piece
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:45:03 -0400
From: Fred Spencer <drjz at bealenet.com>
To: Butch Thompson <butcht at sihope.com>

This "debate" resulted from a Marsalis letter to the editor of the "New
York Times" (12/19/94) about an NYT review of Collier's book, "Jazz. the
American Theme Song", by Russell Davies, a BBC jazz producer (11/21/93).
Marsalis's belief that "Mr. Collier is nothing more than a pompous
social scientist who for too long has passed as a serious scholar of
jazz music" brought a reply from Collier, who said " Not only am I
willing to debate Mr. Marsalis. I have already asked my publisher to
arrange a meeting. (2/6/94)." This occurred on 8/7/94. I wrote to Mr.
Ccllier for a transcript of the session and he replied that  he
understood this was not to be released by the Lincoln Center, where the
"so-called debate" took place. After considering the use of the Freedom
of Information Act, an efficient lady at the Lincoln Center finally sent
me a copy of a long review from "Transition" (Spring, 1995} by Andre
Craddock-Willis. I wrote an article entitled "The Debate That Never
Was", so far unpublished. As Craddock-Willis said, "Marsalis came to
talk music", mainly criticizing Collier's books, and Collier "wanted
Marsalis to answer to various charges made against the Lincoln Center
Jazz Program, ranging from nepotism to racism to hostility to free
jazz." The result was not a debate but an argumentative exchange of
unanswered questions. A somewhat biased account appearaed in the
12/12/94 "New Yorker".The best summary I know of came in" "The
Economist", which, in a review of the same Collier book, suggested that
" [Mr.Collier]...deserves to be answered not by bluster but by the
passionate attention characteristic of jazz itself." Regards.
Fred