[Dixielandjazz] realistic future for Dixieland jazz

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Sat Aug 2 17:31:30 PDT 2003

Hi all,

Further to the above subject heading which now seems to have died I would
like to draw your attention to the August issue of The Mississippi Rag which
carries reports on 2 British events. The Keswick event notes feature photos of
Jack (Kid) Carter and Adrian Cox both of whom are young players who are making
their way as professional musicians on the British and European 'OKOM' circuit.
The feature by Clarrie Henley on the Blackpool Jazz Party held last May
reports of the performance of Richard Shepherd a 17 year-old saxophonist who made
his debut (sponsored by yours truly!) at this event and is shown in a photo with
Ken Peplowski and Scott Robinson. Richard's style my not be quite OKOM as
some would like to define it but whilst there are musicians such as Jack, Adrian
and Richard learning and playing swinging jazz there is always hope that
Dixieland / Traditional / OKOM (Or what you will) will thrive.

By the way I am looking for a young musician to sponsor for the 2004
Blackpool Jazz Party. He or she must be of an exceptional level of achievement, be
able to sight read, have a fairly wide standard rrepertoire and not be phased at
having to play alongside the best in the world in front of a critical (But
understanding!) live audience. They should reside in the UK as I can't run to
airfares. Instrument played does not really matter although this particular jazz
event has little call for washboards, kazoos, or even banjos.

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.