[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver '23 CD

glen page gpage at direct.ca
Tue Apr 29 11:51:15 PDT 2003

Hi David,

I have not heard the Naxos cd but I did buy the 2 cd set on the Retrieval
label from Jerry. This set has all the Creole J.B.sides still available, 37
tracks in all, and the Oliver ,Morton duets and a couple of Joe with
Butterbeans and Susie. A total of 41 tracks.

The great thing about this set is that the remastering was done by John
R.T.Davies who many consider to be the master at this work.  Insert notes by
Laurie Wright who authored the masterpiece on Oliver.

The clarity of sound from this set is superb, it is as though Joe and his
band were in your living room. The price is most reasonable, it would be
worth many times the actual cost to somebody who wants to hear what the
C.J.B. sounded like. I cannot speak too highly of the cds which are
available from Jazz Jerry.

Cheers,
Glen.