[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver '23 CD

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Apr 29 18:30:47 PDT 2003

Hi Glen. I agree with most of what you say on the Retrieval set, which I
have and have been using to transcribe the tunes for my new fake book, and
in fact, JRTD's previous edition on King Jazz made the Olivers listenable
for me. I'm not quite sure I'd go so far as to suggest that the sound
quality would make yer lady look around the living room floor so she could
spread newspaper under the brass horns. [%^)

The 1923 Olivers ought to be heard by more folks, and the Naxos combination
of very low price for 20s tracks with good audio quality leave no excuse
for not giving the music a serious tryout...

I also enjoyed the 1944-47 Kid Ory CD--18 tracks; 8.120587.

As I write, I'm listening to the brand new Timeless Jean Goldkette album
that Jerry sent in his latest package. As one who listens regularly to Bix,
and likes the 20s dance orchestras, I've often wanted to hear more
Goldkette, and here it is. The audio quality was acceptable to a couple of
fussy types on 78-list, and so far I have no complaints--but then I don't
have 78 ears, just 2...

--Sheik

At 10:51 AM 4/29/2003 -0700, glen page wrote:
>Hi David,
>
>I have not heard the Naxos cd but I did buy the 2 cd set on the Retrieval
>label from Jerry. This set has all the Creole J.B.sides still available, 37
>tracks in all, and the Oliver ,Morton duets and a couple of Joe with
>Butterbeans and Susie. A total of 41 tracks.
>
>The great thing about this set is that the remastering was done by John
>R.T.Davies who many consider to be the master at this work.  Insert notes by
>Laurie Wright who authored the masterpiece on Oliver.
>
>The clarity of sound from this set is superb, it is as though Joe and his
>band were in your living room. The price is most reasonable, it would be
>worth many times the actual cost to somebody who wants to hear what the
>C.J.B. sounded like. I cannot speak too highly of the cds which are
>available from Jazz Jerry.

>Glen.

--Sheik
David W. Littlefield, Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Washboard
Compiler: "Dixieland FB" (Bb, C); "30S-40S FB (Bb, C)"; "Gig Book"
http://cpcug.org/user/dwlit (Dixie playalong list, other tools)
http://americanmusiccaravan.com (Fake Books, Chord Books, Bands)
eMail: dwlit at cpcug.org