[Dixielandjazz] Report from LaCrosse

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Apr 28 15:23:31 PDT 2003

Well, fellow listees, it is clear that our friend Jim has found the real
"Lake Woebegone"!"
Nice wander through the memory banks, Jimmy. Been doing a little  of  that
lately.
Guess it happens when we get a tad long in the tooth. Still having teeth to
get long with is not all bad.
My little burg of Baldwin is also small (520) - we have a summer jazz and
blues festival in a band, but that's it. For me it is a great place to be--
156 lakes and over 2,000 miles of trout streams at hand in Lake County. As
you will recall, fishing was my pressure valve at Jazz Ltd, and Freddie
Kohlman and I used to hit the road after closing on Saturday night, drive
all night to get to Michigan to fish some small lakes and return late Sunday
to rest up for another week of Mein Hauptman Reinhardt's Prussian
leadership. (Every note a pearl, but watch the 'pulse.').
Only here I don't have far to drive and can fish most days as I set my own
time.
If there is an occupation more akin to jazz musicianship it's that of the
self-employed writer. Neither pays worth a damn but then there's more in
life than money -- though it toes give one a certain sense of comfort when
it's your turn to buy a round..
As to your owl - good sound, isn't it? We have several in the back of our
three wooded acres. Barred owl-- always asking "who cooks for you," and
sometimes a Great Horned Owl, the kingpin of raptors. He can say whatever he
wants to...no one will argue with him. Lately we are being thrilled by the
return of eagles to our area -- you have lots over there along the
Mississippi, too, Jimmy. Majestic to see.
Hey, enjoy the country life and the music that we all have to share on our
tapes and other media. As long as the ears work, we will still have that to
fill our souls.
Glad to know you are okay and only sorry we are so distant in miles. Have
missed our friendship up close over the years, and was glad we had a chance
to share a stand a time or two in recent years.
Keep in touch, as will Jean and I. Take care old friend --- hell all of my
friends are old -- and when in doubt play a G and smile. No one will know!
   Don Ingle