[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Im Comin' Virginia"/Condon

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Fri Apr 18 10:31:26 PDT 2003

  Bill Haesler wrote:

> > You are probably recalling the Eddie Condon & His Dixieland Band
Columbia
> > 'Bixieland' album (CL719).
> > Now on a Mosaic set.
> > "I'm Comin' Virginia" was one of 5 recorded on 20 April (Hitler's
birthday
> and
> > also mine!) 1955 with Bobby Hackett (as Pete Pesci), c; Cutty Cutshall,
> tb; Dick
> > Cary, alto horn; Edmond Hall, cl; Gene Schroeder, p; Eddie Condon, g;
> Walter
> > Page, sb; George Wettling, d.
> > Certainly a beautiful version, which I am playing at this moment.

Bob Ringwald adds:

The Condon/Hackett version of which you speak is certainly one of the most
beautiful versions I have ever heard.  Hackett plays an incredibly beautiful
solo.

When I lived in LA & led the Great Pacific JB, we took that arrangement off
& played it regularly.

When Jim Turner our pianist, moved back east & Dick Cary joined the band, we
found out that we were playing the arrangement that Dick had written almost
40 years before for the recording session we are speaking of.

Bob
mr.wonderful at ringwald.com
Placerville, (Old Hang Town), CA