[Dixielandjazz] Bar Code

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Thu Apr 17 18:34:54 PDT 2003

Regarding the barcode discussion:

I am in the process of starting a Recording/Publishing Company/Record Label.

This topic is timely because I am in the process of getting our own barcode
now.

For a small company, such as ours, the cost is $750, with an annual renewal
of $150 (as is the current rate) . . . much like a domain name on the
internet, except the large initial fee.

For this fee, they assign our company a PREFIX. We then will assign a suffix
for each product we produce ourselves.

The time for this process to take place, if you apply online, is 5 days.

The reason why we are choosing to have our own Barcode Number, is when you
use a Replicating House's number, you'll come up on the computer as
"DiscMaker's Barbone Street Band Present's . . ." or "Joe Blow's Replicating
Company presents Barbone Street Band".

We are creating what we believe will be a label of some degree of prestige
and legitimacy and we didn't wish to appear as some home-made jobbie.

That being said, the CD we recently put out of Chelsea had no Barcode, shared
or otherwise. We have broken all local artist sales records in Southeastern
Wisconsin. We had them available in all kinds of stores, including Barnes &
Noble, Borders and Sam Goody. Barcodes seemed not to be a requirement of any
kind.

I do not know if this will be a detriment when we distribute nationally.

I hope someone finds this helpful, and I welcome any further comment and
feedback.

Bill
414-777-0100
BillSargentBands.com