[Dixielandjazz] Re: more poetry (was Dr. Jazz, Telephone Central, and Teachers' Salaries)

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:48:13 +1000

Dear George,
Regarding your comment: > IMHO the lyrics to our OKOM standards are poetry.<
A very perceptive statement, but the concept has already been published.
"Poets of Tin Pan Alley. A History of America' Greatest Lyricists" by Phillip
Furia. (Oxford University Press. 1992).
A 'must-read' book for all of those interested in the 'standards' (and others)
which form the basis of OKOM.
I present it to all up and coming local jazz singers. And a few oldies as well.
It explains in clear terms how the masters manipulated words and sounds around
the music.
Entertaining without being too academic.
No serious jazz lover should be without it and a steal at about US$12.
I have no connection with the author or the publisher.
Kind regards,
Bill.