[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Your request re: Lil Armstong

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:51:26 EDT

--part1_16f.14758edf.2ac5139e_boundary

In a message dated 9/26/02 3:48:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> >    At that concert, after finishing a number, she remarked to her bass man
> > that she wasn't feeling good...then collapsed at the piano. Taken
> offstage,
> > an MET  worker tried to revive her, but it was not to be. One jazz
> legend
> > had left us while honoring another.
> >    I never got to write that profile. But if I had my lead would have
> > started this way:
> >    "The first thing you note about Lillian Hardin Armstrong is her smile.
> It
> > warms you through to the bone."
> >     That is the way I remember my friend Lillian.>

   Thanks, Don, for this wonderful memoir of Lil Hardin Armstrong.  What year
was that?

   It's not too late to write your profile on Lil.  She was a pivotal figure
in early jazz.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_16f.14758edf.2ac5139e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/26/02 3:48:01 PM Central Daylight Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; At that concert, after finishing a number, she remarked to her bass man<BR>
&gt; that she wasn't feeling good...then collapsed at the piano. Taken<BR>
offstage,<BR>
&gt; an MET&nbsp; worker tried to revive her, but it was not to be. One jazz&nbsp; legend<BR>
&gt; had left us while honoring another.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I never got to write that profile. But if I had my lead would have<BR>
&gt; started this way:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "The first thing you note about Lillian Hardin Armstrong is her smile.<BR>
It<BR>
&gt; warms you through to the bone."<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; That is the way I remember my friend Lillian.&gt;</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks, Don, for this wonderful memoir of Lil Hardin Armstrong.&nbsp; What year was that?<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; It's not too late to write your profile on Lil.&nbsp; She was a pivotal figure in early jazz.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_16f.14758edf.2ac5139e_boundary--