[Dixielandjazz] Jazz diseases/ Occupational marks

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:48:53 EDT

--part1_124.173b54de.2ac29a35_boundary

In a message dated 9/24/02 3:51:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
Schnabbels@aol.com writes:

> As far as occupational marks are concerned, here is one that applies
> exclusively to trombonists. I invite all trombone players on the list, that
> is those who are right-handed and hold the instrument with their left hand
> and move the slide with their right hand, to take a look at their left
> pinkie. Specifically, to the inside of the first joint of the pinkie. I
> would not surprise me if you notice an enlargement of the joint. Compare it
> with the pinkie of your right hand. This is the result of how you routinely
> hold the horn. Now, this will not have any impact on our life expectancy,
> but I think it is interesting nonetheless. The only thing it does for me is
> that, while I do not have particularly strong hands, I can snap a pencil
> with ease between the fourth finger and pinkie of my left hand. Not that I
> have a frequent need for that; it's just one of those things.

   With some trepidation i just checked out my left pinkie.  I am greatly
relieved to report that it is exactly the same size as my right pinkie.  I am
embarassed to report that I can't 'snap' a pencil with even both hands.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_124.173b54de.2ac29a35_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/24/02 3:51:46 PM Central Daylight Time, Schnabbels@aol.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">As far as occupational marks are concerned, here is one that applies exclusively to trombonists. I invite all trombone players on the list, that is those who are right-handed and hold the instrument with their left hand and move the slide with their right hand, to take a look at their left pinkie. Specifically, to the inside of the first joint of the pinkie. I would not surprise me if you notice an enlargement of the joint. Compare it with the pinkie of your right hand. This is the result of how you routinely hold the horn. Now, this will not have any impact on our life expectancy, but I think it is interesting nonetheless. The only thing it does for me is that, while I do not have particularly strong hands, I can snap a pencil with ease between the fourth finger and pinkie of my left hand. Not that I have a frequent need for that; it's just one of those things.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; With some trepidation i just checked out my left pinkie.&nbsp; I am greatly relieved to report that it is exactly the same size as my right pinkie.&nbsp; I am embarassed to report that I can't 'snap' a pencil with even both hands.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_124.173b54de.2ac29a35_boundary--