[Dixielandjazz] Lil Armstrong

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:03:12 EDT

--part1_a1.2de20d57.2ac29d90_boundary

In a message dated 9/24/02 9:44:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
ringwald@calweb.com writes:

> Don Ingle wrote:
>
> > In my time in the house band at Chicago's Jazz Ltd. we played five night
> > week, six hours a night. we had Thursday and Sunday off (with an off
> night
> > band led by Lil Armstrong or Art Hodes on Thursdays).
>

> Snip:
>
> Di you know Lil?  If so, tell us about her.
>
> Bob
> mr.wonderful@ringwald.com

   I played with Lil a few times at Jazz LTD.  She as a wonderful vivacious
woman. She loved to play the piano and her sheer joy in it was obvious.  I
was surprosed to find that she could play some knock down boogie woogie. Lil
liked to talk about Louis and once she told me that Louis was a great
whistler and that he would whistle  good choruses and things on tunes.  She
finally told him, ' why don't you play on your trumpet those phrases and
things that you are whistling.'  According to her, he started thinking about
it and actually doing it.  I believe her on that and I beleive that she was
much more of an influence on Louis than most people realize.  I believe that
he supported her all of her life.  She keeled over and died in the middle of
an outdoor concert in chicago.

JIm Beebe

--part1_a1.2de20d57.2ac29d90_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/24/02 9:44:16 AM Central Daylight Time, ringwald@calweb.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Don Ingle wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&gt; In my time in the house band at Chicago's Jazz Ltd. we played five night a<BR>
&gt; week, six hours a night. we had Thursday and Sunday off (with an off night<BR>
&gt; band led by Lil Armstrong or Art Hodes on Thursdays).<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Snip:<BR>
<BR>
Di you know Lil?&nbsp; If so, tell us about her.<BR>
<BR>
Bob<BR>
mr.wonderful@ringwald.com</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I played with Lil a few times at Jazz LTD.&nbsp; She as a wonderful vivacious woman. She loved to play the piano and her sheer joy in it was obvious.&nbsp; I was surprosed to find that she could play some knock down boogie woogie. Lil liked to talk about Louis and once she told me that Louis was a great whistler and that he would whistle&nbsp; good choruses and things on tunes.&nbsp; She finally told him, ' why don't you play on your trumpet those phrases and things that you are whistling.'&nbsp; According to her, he started thinking about it and actually doing it.&nbsp; I believe her on that and I beleive that she was much more of an influence on Louis than most people realize.&nbsp; I believe that he supported her all of her life.&nbsp; She keeled over and died in the middle of an outdoor concert in chicago.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
JIm Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_a1.2de20d57.2ac29d90_boundary--