[Dixielandjazz] Resting Chops

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:56:27 -0400

Dan Augustine asked about resting brass players etc., between numbers
and others chimed in that the rhythm section is always playing, at least
front line players get a break etc.

One way Barbone Street players rest, besides the talk between numbers,
is to play as sub units within the songs.
For example, Bass & Clarinet take a chorus, everyone else lays out. Or
Trombone, Guitar takes a chorus while the rest lay out etc. Or horns
trade fours with the drums. Or front line ensemble only, no rhythm.
We've even done low register clarinet and trombone, everyone else out,
or trumpet and trombone, no one else. Thewse sub units always get a hand
from the audience which makes it even better

Or you can have the clarinet play the In chorus with the rhythm section,
and then after solos, again play the Out chorus with the rhythm section
only. There are lots of ways to rest tired chops.

However, the best thing to do is to build up your chops by playing a lot
of gigs. At this point in our development, the front line horns never
get tired. We occasionally do 8 hours in a day, with double or triple
gigs. Our two day record this year is 12 hours out of 30 hours. (1 & 1/4
days actually) First gig at noon on a  Saturday and last gig ending at 6
PM on Sunday.

The only guy we are sure to rest is the bass player, who at 72, with an
older, high bridge, double bass (strings require more effort to pull
then the newer low bridge basses) sometimes loses a little arm strength.
Even then, he does 7 hours, no problem. That 12 hour marathon above gave
him just a slight problem towards the end of the gig on Sunday.

Not in his playing but in his mind as he asked me to talk a little more
between numbers and usually he thinks I talk too much. ;-)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone