[Dixielandjazz] Resting Chops

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:34:18 -0500

Steve said:
>>>The only guy we are sure to rest is the bass player, who at 72, with an
older, high bridge, double bass (strings require more effort to pull
then the newer low bridge basses) sometimes loses a little arm strength<<<

      I assume your bass man plays without an amp, for this would be the
only reason anyone plays with high strings anymore.  What's even tougher are
the steel strings most everyone uses now.  Gut strings are easier on the
fingers than steels, but are twice as expensive and don't last nearly as
long, and need constant tuning.  I tend to use minimum amplification and
pick hard, which leaves my fingers hurting down to the bone after a gig.
The bass has a better sound than picking easy and letting the amp do all the
work.  No blisters, but it hurts to try to play after a long gig.
      One thing I have to mention is the order of solos.  After each horn
player, the piano, then the guitar/banjo each play one or more choruses,
someone says "bass solo".  By this time my fingers are going limp,
especially on a fast romp. I'm confined to playing a lesser solo than if I
could have had the first solo.  Other than "that's the way it's always
been", is there any reason why the bass solo couldn't be moved up?  I could
play much more dazzling solos (does anyone care?) earlier in the order of
things.
        Pat Cooke