[Dixielandjazz] Presentation

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:57:30 -0400

Dan Augustine wrote:

>     Speaking of 'presentation', how much explanation should we be
giving
the audience before (or after) each number?  Seems like it would be a
good
idea to let them know a little of the history or interesting details of
each
song, along with perhaps the kind of dixieland-style it's being played
in
(New Orleans/West Coast/etc), without being condescending about either
type
of comment.  It's also a good idea NOT to jump right into the next tune,
as
the brass players (especially the cornet) need time for their lips to
rest a
little before the next tune.
>     But how much should one say, what should one say, and how many
minutes
should it take?  I realize these depend on the kind of show also, and
the
attention-span of the audience, but what do most of you guys do?

What Barbone Street does is:

Almost never talk about style of music. Almost never talk about "history
of the song" unless it relates to the audience. In our club dates
(young, 60% female) we get "sexy", for example:

DR. JAZZ: "Here's a song about sex or drugs in the 1920s. Now I know
that your parents or grandparents say there was no sex or drugs then,
but Dr. Jazz was either the local pusher, or the local pimp. Listen to
the words. Then we sing  the second line as "He's got just what I need
I'll say he has."  (equals drugs) or "You got just what I need, you know
you has." which sung while looking directly at a pretty young lady, or a
smiling older lady equals pimp or hooker, or fantasy. Guaranteed to
please the audience.

OR we talk appropriate history like:

FIDGETY FEET (when we have our swing dancers in the audience) "This was
a dance tune, but today most folks say they can't dance to it. Watch
what Lindsay and Marty do with it. They'll do a fantastic Balboa. The
Balboa was invented on the West Coast because of small dance floors. No
throws or swing outs., just some really great stepping."

Etc., etc., etc.,

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

That's what relates to the audience, not this is "West Coast Style" etc.