[Dixielandjazz] Speaking Of Midi

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:24:30 -0700 (PDT)

For a while I was writing a column for the Sacramento Traditional
Jazz Society's monthly news letter.  The following is my June,
2001 article.

Bob
mr.wonderful@ringwald.com
Placervile, CA USA

Jazz Website of the Month
By Bob Ringwald

>From the October, 2001 issue of:
AND ALL THAT JAZZ
The monthly publication of the
SACRAMENTO TRADITIONAL JAZZ SOCIETY.

This month we feature "THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF MIDI" (MUSICAL
INSTRUMENT DIGITAL INTERFACE).

While this sounds like a complicated term, all it really means
is--by using a computer with a MIDI file, you can make an
electronic music instrument play music. Of course, the instrument
must be interfaced (hooked up) digitally to the source producing
the MIDI file. Think of it as sort of a PLAYER PIANO operated by
a COMPUTER instead of an OLD-FASHIONED PLAYER PIANO ROLL.

You may create a MIDI file yourself by playing an instrument
which is interfaced to a computer which is digitally recording
what you play. Or, you can write a piece of music to a MIDI file
and then play it back on a musical instrument. You can get MIDI
files on computer disks or from the World Wide Web.

There are many MIDI sites on the Web. A good one is
http://homepages.tesco.net/~stridepiano/midifiles. This site is
owned and maintained by John Farrell, a stride pianist in
Tingewick, Buckinghamshire, England who posts MIDI files on his
website for fun and produces old-fashioned piano rolls and Stride
Piano sheet music for profit.

Mr. Farrell takes famous piano players' recordings, transfers
them to MIDI files and posts them on his website for anyone in
the world to listen to and enjoy. He also transfers famous piano
recordings to old-fashioned piano rolls which then may be
purchased on the JazzMan and JAM labels.

If you go to his website and click on a particular song, you will
hear it played on a 9-foot Steinway Concert Grand. Of course, the
quality of what you hear can be severely limited by the quality
of your computer sound card and/or speakers. The better your
sound card and speakers are, the better the music will sound.

Other interesting MIDI websites on the World Wide Web are:

Ragtime: http://www.members.aol.com/ragtimers

Classical: http://www.prs.net

Boogie and 12-bar blues:
http://www.myrtlebeachstreaming.com/MIDI/BOOGIE/default.htm

Country:  http://www.spacestar.net/users/shiznitt/midi.htm

When typing the URL (website address), be sure to enter it
accurately, exactly as written. Computers are only as good as the
person operating them. Remember the old adage, "GIGO" (garbage
in, garbage out).

For further details on MIDI, Stride Piano sheet music and modern
piano rolls, contact John Farrell direct at
stridepiano@tesco.net.

Your comments are always welcome. If you have a favorite website
that you would like to share with our readers, please direct your
emails to bob@ringwald.com. Happy Jazz websurfing. :-)

Editor's Note: If you would like to see Bob Ringwald's own
personal website, go to http://www.ringwald.com.

                         end - end - end - end