[Dixielandjazz] Re: AF of M - fresh meat!

Bigbuttbnd@aol.com Bigbuttbnd@aol.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:34:31 EDT

Ah... at last a new subject we can really get our teeth into! Let's get a
good union fight goin'! C'mon everyone, join in...

I was a member of the musicians' union (AF of M) for about 15 or 20 years and
then dropped out because I felt that I was at odds, on a philosophical level,
with the POLITICAL position of the national (moreso than the local here in
Atlanta). Although the local was somewhat powerful for many years in Atlanta
it, like all locals, went through a period of being 'out of touch' with the
main body of its membership. It was a tough sell to the rockers right from
the beginning.

Today, however, I'm really considering rejoining. I think of the local now as
sort of a professional fraternity (which it is, really) instead of a
bargaining entity (which, for OKOM, it has never been in MY lifetime). I
thought Art Wood's comments were very well thought out.

Listmate Dave Hanson is the Vice-President of the local in Atlanta and it may
be unique to have a Jazz player on the union leadership, ...is that common in
your areas? When was the last time a Union rep asked to see anyone's union
card on one of your gigs? What benefits do you personally derive from Union
membership? Let's hear some good HORROR stories!

Rocky Ball, Atlanta